Thursday, October 26, 2006

Sugar-Free, Bad News for Dogs

With Halloween so close we are hearing more and more about ways to keep your pets safe during the witching season. Of course, most dog owners already know the dangers of chocolate, but some are still not aware of the dangers of a sweetener called Xylitol.

The AVMA has warned us in the past of the dangerous, toxic effects this sweetener can have on dogs, but still the cases of Xylitol poisoning more than doubled from 2004 to 2005 and the 2006 statistics are on the rise.

As Xylitol becomes more and more prevalent in everyday items such as sugar-free chewing gum, candy, baked goods, even toothpaste, so do the cases of unsuspecting, hungry dogs getting a hold of the substance. While earlier warnings concentrated on large doses of the ingredient, it is now reported that dogs may be harmed by even lesser amounts.

Don't be fooled by its name, Xylitol is not an uncommon substance. It can be found in much of the food in your home -- check the ingredients. For example, many chewing gum brands these days tout that they are sugar-free. Good for us, not so good for our furry friends. These sugar-free sticks of gum are not necessarily Xylitol-free.

So, as Halloween approaches, be diligent about keeping ALL candy, not just the chocolate, out of Fido's reach.

For more information and tips on keeping your pets safe at Halloween please visit:

Halloween Safety for Pets from AWLA

Tips to Keep Pets Safe from Tricks and Treats from HSUS

Halloween Safety from

No comments: