Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Dogs Found, Cats Lost

The latest news is that lost dogs are returned to their owners more often and sooner than lost cats. This, however, is nothing new to animal shelter workers. The reasons are straightforward and the solution quite simple...

1) Dogs more often wear ID tags with current contact information than cats.

2) Dog owners are more aware when their dog is missing than cat owners because cats are often allowed to roam free and dogs must be kept on a leash.

3) People are more apt to react when they see a roaming dog, since roaming cats are more common.

How can we all solve this basic problem?

1) Make sure that all dogs and cats wear id tags at all times.

2) Call your local animal shelter immediately if your dog or cat is missing.

3) Keep your cats safely inside with you at all times.

2 comments:

Justin said...

But what if my cat goes out chasing a mouse when I am not there?? I really doubt what will happen at that time as they just hate to wear tags.

Anonymous said...

I used to be one of those owners that thought it was OK to let my cats go outside. I don't think it's OK now. We have a colony of feral cats that live in my neighborhood, and who knows what disease they may be carrying? There are too many highly contagious and deadly diseases out there that I sure don't my house cats exposed to. If you love your cat, keep it inside.